-BY HITI KHATWANI
Cinnamon rolls are a little time consuming; however, they are surprisingly easy to make and taste delicious. The flavours of cinnamon and cream cheese make the dessert rich and exquisite. Here is a recipe for making yummy cinnamon rolls overnight. Do give it a try. It’s surprisingly rewarding 🙂
Ingredients required for the dough:
● 1 cup of Whole Milk
● 1/2 cup of Water
● 2-1/2 tsp of Active Dry Yeast
● 5-1/2 to 6 cups of all-purpose flour (keep some flour on hand in case you need more)
● 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
● 3 tsp of Salt
● 1/3 cup of Unsalted Butter, melted
● 1 Egg
● 1 Tbsp. of Vanilla Extract
Ingredients required for the filling:
● 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, very soft- at room temperature (or semi melted)
● 1 1/4 cups of Brown Sugar
● 1 Tbsp. of Cinnamon
Ingredients required for the glaze:
● 4 oz. of Cream Cheese, softened at room
● 2 Tbsp. of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temp
● 2 cups of Powdered Sugar
● 1 Tbsp. of Vanilla
● 4-5 Tbsp. of Whole milk
How to make Cinnamon Rolls:
1) Using a glass measuring cup, add milk and water to a small bowl and microwave it for 45 seconds. Stir in it, the yeast and 2 tsp of sugar and set aside to bloom for about 5 minutes.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, add flour, sugar, salt, bloomed yeast mixture, butter, egg and vanilla. Knead on medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until a dough forms. If the dough seems sticky, add an additional 3/4 cup of flour, slowly, until the dough pulls from the sides of the mixer.
3) Remove the dough and place it in an oiled bowl. Cover it with a cloth and allow it to rise until it doubles in volume for about 1.5 hours.
4) Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.
5) Once the dough has risen, deflate it and place it on a well-floured surface. Roll it out into a long rectangle, brush it with butter, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly and start rolling into a tight long cigar.
6) Cut out the rolls and place them in a large buttered baking pan. Cover it with some plastic wrap, allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes, then place them in the fridge overnight.
7) Remove the rolls out of the fridge about an hour and 15 minutes before baking. Let them rest and rise, somewhat warm, until doubled in volume. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake them for 20 minutes until beautiful golden.
8) Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, using a hand electric whisk, whisk the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar, whisk for a minute until thick and well combined and slowly add the milk while whisking until you get your consistency.
9) Pour glaze over the warm rolls and enjoy 🙂