BY KAREN AGUIAR
RANKING THE BEST OUTFITS OF THE EVENING
(while sitting in my pajamas, of course)
The MET Gala this year was surely a rollercoaster for any fashion enthusiasts out there. In the midst of hoping to find life-changing fashion inspiration, we were served with some, rather peculiar fashion moments this year. The theme for the MET this year was “American Independence”, a very American thing to do, I must say. Also, a very proud moment for Gen-Z to see so many Gen-Z celebs and influencers killing it at the MET.
Without any further ado, let’s get on it!
Starting from the best-dressed stars tonight, my heart (and eyes) lie with Kendall Jenner, Timothee Chalamet and of course, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez(AOC). Let’s break their looks down, one by one.
1) Starting with AOC, the dress CLEARLY makes a bold and rather controversial statement. While many people in the limelight choose to stay silent and neutral on issues of great importance, AOC has a history of very fashionably getting her point across.
Here’s what she said when critics were quick to point out that her actions and her statements were rather hypocritical.
“And yes, BEFORE anybody starts wilding out – NYC elected officials are regularly invited to and attend the Met due to our responsibilities in overseeing our city’s cultural institutions that serve the public. I was one of several in attendance. The dress is borrowed via @brothervellies.“
Couldn’t agree more.
2) Kendall’s look reminded me of a young Marilyn Monroe and who other than Kendall can pull off this look with such class and poise.
3) Timothee Chalamet doing the most American thing of all – wearing Converse. Kudos to our favourite French boy for understanding the assignment.
4) Lil Nas X- We all can count on Lil Nas X to SERVE, be it his albums or his outfits. He wore a total of 3 Versace outfits, and it’s safe to say, that NONE disappointed.
5) Grimes- She pulled up carrying a sword to the MET, and I am in awe. Grimes always has bold fashion choices and we’re here for it.
6)Troye Sivan- He can pull off LITERALLY anything, Troye can show up in a potato sack and
still look fresh as ever. That much confidence!
Other honourable mentions:
This year’s MET was filled with jaw-dropping fashion, hilarious memes and some not so nice comments. While it is normal to have an opinion on what celebs choose to wear, we should be mindful that our opinions do not turn to hate. They’re humans with real human feelings, too.
I can’t wait to see what next year’s MET brings us.